Made With Serif WebPlus. All content of this website is © Shanklin & District History Society 2019
Off to the Pub in 1914!
This gallery page continues the theme of looking back to the era of the First World War with a the possibilities for going ‘Off the the Pub’ in Shanklin in 1914 together with a survey of survival 101 years later.
These pages will change from time to time to give different glimpses of the history of Shanklin from the Society’s Archive.
Please contact Helen Thomas if you have any ideas or pictures for future gallery pages.
the building and business survive
the building survives with a new use
the building is now lost
1 The Marine Hotel
2 The Green Dragon Public House
3 Madeira Hotel
4 The Falcon Public House
5 Clarendon Hotel
6 Plough and Barleycorn Public House
7 The Liberal Club
8 The Conservative Club
9 The Shanklin Club
10 The Chine Inn
11 The Crab Inn
1 The Marine Hotel
The first public bar to greet a visitor to Shanklin arriving by train was at the Marine Hotel opposite the station. In 1914 the proprietor was Edward Beaton.
The hotel was probably built shortly after the railway service started in 1864 and in 1867 was listed as one of the four principal hotels (with Holliers, Daishes and The Falcon) in Shanklin. The buildings were demolished in the late 20th century and the site is now redeveloped with housing.
On the right is an advertisement for the hotel in 1910, a view of the hotel and bar on Regent Street in about 1960 and a view of the site today.
2 Green Dragon Pub
The Green Dragon dates from at least 1871 when a Thomas Wheeler is listed in the census there as a beer seller.
In 1914 it was run by John Cox who is listed in the Kelly’s Directory for Shanklin as a beer retailer.
The views on the right show the pub in the early and later 20th century. The building remains on the corner of Atherley and North Road but is now converted to housing.
3 Madeira Hotel
The Madeira Hotel in 1914 was a ‘picturesque and comfortable family hotel’, with wines, spirits and cigars of the highest quality offered by proprietors Mr and Mrs Ed. Farrant. Following bomb damage in WWII the building was substantially rebuilt and offered live entertainment as a ‘night out pub’. The pictures here show the Madiera in 1915 and in about 1980, before demolition and redevelopment with flats.
4 The Falcon
Although the Falcon is shown on the 1909 OS as a public house it is listed in the 1914 Kelly’s Directory as The Falcon Commercial Hotel run by George Broome. The advertisement shown here dates from 1927.
The present corner sign, shown here, gives a building date of 1842. In 1867 it was listed a one of the four principal Shanklin hotels. The Falcon remains in use as a pub in 2015.
5 The Clarendon Hotel
The proprietor of The Clarendon Hotel in 1914 was Frederick Kent and the hotel building appears to have been rebuilt before 1898 on the site of the smaller building named as the Commercial Inn on the 1880 OS.
It operated in the later 20th century as both a public house and night club, but has now been demolished and replaced with flats.The pictures here show the building just prior to demolition and an earlier pub sign.
6 Plough & Barleycorn Inn
This Inn probably dates from the later 19th century although a building is shown on the site on the 1866 OS. The early photographs below clearly show the Inn sign and in 1914 the landlord was Frederick Augustus Knowles.
In recent years the name changed briefly to The Pig and Whistle, but is now back in business as the Plough and Barleycorn.
7 Shanklin Liberal Club Co. Ltd
Newly established in 1913, the Liberal Club welcomed affiliated members. In 1914 the Secretary was listed as Evelyn George Medley.
The property was put up for sale in 2011 and is now used as a theatrical costume workshop and store.
8 Conservative & Unionist Club
The Conservative Club was opened by Mrs White Popham in 1885. It also welcomed affiliated members and in 1914 the Honorary Secretary was Harold Baker.
Shown here in 2015 is the original building fronting on to Palmerston Road with the late 20th century extension on the right.
9 Shanklin Club
Established in 1885 in the distinctive many gabled building on Keats Green, the Club was sometimes referred to as ‘The Cliff Club for Gentlemen’. It later became Keats Inn and has now been converted for residential use. The Secretary in 1914 was Charles Cassell.
10 Chine Inn
One of the two earliest Shanklin inns. The original thatched Chine Inn was built in 1621, was run by the Prouten family for some 300 years, and is thought to predate nearly all the other buildings in Shanklin. It was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1869. The top two views below were taken before the fire and the lower two show how the rebuilt Chine Inn looked in the 1920s and 1950s.In 1914 the landlord was Samuel John Clark.
11 Crab Inn
The Crab Inn dates back to at least the 18th century and is possibly the most drawn, painted and photographed building on the Island. The earliest illustration is probably the sketch below of the ‘Little Inn at Shanklin’, on the left with Culver Cliff in the background, by the visiting landscape artist John Laporte and dates from about 1789. The early photograph, with a barrel of beer being delivered, dates from before a new wing was added in about 1865. Other views show the Crab in the 20th and early 21st centuries. The landlord in 1914 was Charles Todd Pullen.
All illustrations on this gallery page
are © Shanklin & District History Society